The history of the square in the center of Tashkent named after Amir Timur, the commander and founder of a huge medieval empire, began as early as in the XIX century, when Tashkent was the center of the Turkestan Military Command, composing the Russian Empire. It was established by order of general M. Chernyaev in 1882. The square represented a small park in the center of the city, surrounded by buildings of women and men’s gymnasium, normal school and state bank.
Right in the center of the square, there is a monument to the outstanding commander and statesman of the XIV century Amir Timur, who managed to found a centralized united state composing of 27 countries in the vast territory from the Mediterranean Sea to India. The monument is represented as a bronze figure of Amir Timur with imperial regalia on a reared horse. The monument plinth is engraved with an Amir Timur’s famous motto in four languages “Power is in Justice”. The monument author is the sculptor Ilkhom Jabbarov.
There was a small park around the monument but after reconstruction conducted in 2009, this place was cleared and transformed to a small square with fountains and plantings.
Amir Timur Square is surrounded with the buildings of the “Uzbekistan” Hotel, University of Law (former Women’s Gymnasium), the Amir Timur Museum, well-known Tashkent Chimes and the Forums Palace - one of the most grandiose architectural structures in Tashkent.
The Forums Palace was built in autumn 2009. It became a place to hold important state and international events, for instance: the SCO Summit. The Forums Palace impresses not only with its architecture, but also with its sizes. Its area is almost 10,000 m2. From outside the Forums Palace is decorated with majestic columns, but the most outstanding part of the palace architecture is its dome. It reaches almost 48 m in height; its peak is crowned with figures of storks.